What will happen to Zero Waste after COVID-19?

Photo by Alyssa Erding

My trip to the local co-op has been evolving over the past few weeks. I remember about two weeks ago--maybe a little longer--I brought my jars and reusable bags to the store to stock up on oatmeal, coffee, flour, soy sauce, pasta, avocado oil,  some produce, and, of course, chocolate chips.

That day, my normal routine wasn’t impacted--I weighed my containers, filled them, and wrote both the tare weight (the weight of the empty container) and the PLU code (item identification) on my list, so that I didn’t have to use any disposable stickers to mark the containers. As I crouched down in the bulk aisle (aka my heaven) and scooped oatmeal into my massive jar, I thought “huh, I wonder how long I will be allowed to continue using my own containers.” Since the Coronavirus had just been confirmed in Washington state and was sure to spread through the US--though I had no idea how quickly or severely--I figured some sort of change was coming. Grateful that I could still use my own containers, I got up and continued on with my list. At the checkout, I read off the tare and PLU to the cashier, packed the items into my bags, and left. That was that. 


“I wonder how long I will be allowed to continue using my own containers."



I went back less than a week later, and was met by a sign outside that said “please do not bring reusable bags or containers into the store.” I had biked to the store, and had my panniers with me to clip to my bicycle rack. An employee noticed my dilemma almost before I had, and said that I could place the items into my own bags outside of the store. So, I went about my short list, used a disposable plastic bag in the bulk aisle, and eliminated the step of weighing my container first. Instead of using a sticker on the bag, I still opted to write the PLU on my list and read it off to the cashier. 

Alyssa Erding at Refill Revolution in Boulder, Colorado
Photo by Marissa Jensen
 And, instead of packing my items into a paper bag to carry them outside and re-pack them into my own bike bags, I opted to carry my basket outside with my items in it--loose--and then place them in my bags. They were sanitizing all of the carts and baskets between uses anyways, and I got a nod of approval from both the cashier and the security guard at the door. 

This is my new reality as a person trying to live zero waste.  While I would love to continue to be able to reduce my plastic waste by using my own container, I recognize that at this moment, the sustainability of our society and our health is paramount. No complaints. 

“...at this moment, the sustainability of our society and our health is paramount.”


I went again, just yesterday. They had moved one of the bike racks to be further away from the other. I didn’t have to wait to get in, even though they had it set up to limit the number of people inside. The same security guard was there--I should have asked their name--they were kind, as usual. I chatted with a few employees that I know and gathered that it was weird to be working at this time. They were grateful and stressed at the same time. I felt for them. The beverage counter won’t accept reusable containers for drinks. I wonder if they ever will again, or if this pandemic will scare people enough that we will become hyper-sanitized and even more dependent on disposable goods. Will the work that has been put into passing legislation banning hard-to-recycle items and creating fees for plastic bags have been all for nothing?

I find myself asking a lot of questions like these, and I have to remind myself how privileged of a position I am in to be able to do so. First, to have the means and access to a “normal” shopping experience that includes such an exceptional bulk selection, and a co-op that so often supports the Zero (or low) Waste movements. Second, to be able to continue to shop for goods that I need at this time, that I am at a very low risk of contracting COVID-19, and that my location allows me the freedom to get essential items at leisure. Third, of all of the things in the world to ask questions about, mine is “What will happen with Zero Waste when this is all over?” Given the current state of things, it almost seems silly. I do not have to ask where my next meal will come from, where I will spend the night, or how I would pay for any medical bills associated with the virus--from contracting it to paying for my psychotherapy sessions from the stress invoked by staying at home all of the time. I do not have to ask myself what will happen to my children because of the change in my income, how I will come together with my community again, and any number of other seriously pressing issues that so many marginalized people are experiencing right now. 

Even though the conversation around Zero Waste is important, and the future of the movement is uncertain, the importance of  how I buy my groceries for the next few months pales in comparison to how my friends in the service industry will afford theirs. 

“...the importance of  how I buy my groceries for the next few months pales in comparison to how my friends in the service industry will afford theirs.”


For the coming months, I will do what I can to reduce my use of plastics, when and where I can. I will not argue with taking my take-out food in single-use plastic. I will not shame anyone or look sideways if they are wearing a disposable mask or gloves. I will encourage my friends and family to use a reusable mask if they feel safe doing so. Sure, there is additional waste from all of the single-use items we are leaning on. It’s not my point here, and it’s worth saying that single-use items are not necessarily any cleaner than a reused item that is properly cleaned. It is my point to say that right now, that is not the battle to fight. Do what you can, and be gracious with yourself and with everyone. We all need things that bring us joy, especially now. So, if putting all of your pantry goods in jars brings you joy (it does me), do it. Do your best to reuse the plastic bags you brought home from the store. Save your energy for encouraging reusables back in your communities once the threat of COVID-19 has significantly subsided. 

For now, I will also focus more on other aspects of Zero Waste--like reuse, reduction, repurposing. I think lots of people will. We are already turning to our sewing machines to make masks for ourselves and our communities, leaving the door to the Little Free Library open and stocked with cans of beans and boxes of pasta, crafting at home, using what we have left in our pantries and freezers, planting gardens, making homemade bread, and going for walks instead of drives. All of those things are steps forwards for a lot of people. We need all hands on deck, in response to COVID-19 and in the fight for Just SustainabilitiesOne of the biggest truths in this movement is succinctly stated by Anne-Marie Bonneau (Zero Waste Chef): “We don’t need a handful of people doing zero waste perfectly. We need millions of people doing it imperfectly.”

What will Zero Waste look like after the COVID-19 pandemic? Like all things affected by COVID-19, it is impossible to say.  People are scared, and they have a right to be. The pandemic is highlighting systems that are broken, and the focus should be on fixing them. It will take time to return to pre-pandemic norms, and it will take patience. One day, I will again be able to bring my own container to get a latte. My pantry shelves will be stocked with jars of oatmeal, quinoa, and chocolate chips, and no plastic bags will have been in my hands throughout the process. And there will still be plastic somewhere, and that will be okay.  One day, we won’t have to worry about having enough ventilators and PPE. In the meantime, focus on what matters most. Recognize the position you approach every issue from, and create space for stories and experiences that are different than your own. Do what you can, and take care of yourself as best as you can.

Written by Alyssa Erding, Macalester Sustainability Office Coordinator

Comments

Popular Posts